Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Observation: Language

After re-read my posts about the rape and edited spelling and grammar errors, I had a startled discovery: I wrote the posts in English. My native tongue is Chinese (Mandarin). Now, I am certainly capable and comfortable of writing in English, but why wouldn't I wrote the posts in Chinese, especially for a subject as private and personal as rape? My writing process is simple: I wrote down whatever that in my mind. Normally my thoughts are half in Chinese and half in English. However, while I was writing the rape, all of my thoughts were in English. All of them, from the detail of the rape to the aftermath of the rape, I thought of everything in English. Naturally, I wrote them down in English. Why? I don't know. Just an interesting observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment